As I have gotten more active on Twitter in the last year or two (follow me @mrsprester), I’ve taken a shining to a handful of hashtags that serve me well over and over. Here are my top hashtags, in no particular order.
- #edtech: I love technology. I love education. This hashtag is the perfect married of both topics. Follow this hashtag and get information from so many amazing people in the world of edtech. It can get overwhelming how much great stuff is out there though. Consider yourself warned!
- #STEMin14: In 2014, I was lucky enough to be selected as a STEM fellow by Siemens and Discovery Education. I spent a week in Washington DC with 50 fellows from all over the country. We had amazing leaders, inspirational presenters, and fun learning experiences. We learned, we bonded, we played, and we’re still collaborating with this hashtag over a year later. See what we’ve been up to!
- #finlit: Financial literacy and personal finance are important to me in my own life and in my classroom. I’ve been lucky to work with awesome educators and professionals from around the country through organizations like Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy, MFEC (Massachusetts Financial Education Collaborative)/MassSaves, Massachusetts Jump$tart, Knowledge@Wharton, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- #entrepreneurship: I love a good story about entrepreneurship! I share the amazing things that my Entrepreneurship students do . . . like donating over $5,200 to local charities through their entrepreneurial tasks, no biggie! I also like to see who the new “it” person is. I love sharing these stories with my students in class to inspire them to reach for the stars.
- #busedu: More broadly, I love business and teaching my students about business. Interacting with other business educators helps me with my own teaching and strengthens my PLN (Personal Learning Network).
- #edcamp and other derivations (#edcampboston, #edcampcapecod, #edcampgrafton): If you are an educator and have not been to an EdCamp, what are you waiting for?! EdCamp is the most refreshing, rewarding, and exciting professional development I have ever participated in. It’s free and molds to whatever you want it to be. Each EdCamp takes on its own hashtag for the event and all information and materials are shared via Twitter. It’s a nice way to revisit your learning and see things you may have missed. Did I mention that it is FREE?! Check out the upcoming schedule and sign up for an EdCamp in your area. You won’t regret it!
- #BIF10 and soon-to-be #BIF2015: The Business Innovation Factory runs a summit each year where storytellers share their inspirational journeys on stage. I know we’re not supposed to mention the 3-letter name that inspired these stories, but I will say they are TED-ish. I even got to meet Richard Saul Wurman, founder of TED, last year at this event! It is an incredible experience. The sheer amount of back channeling is huge. It blows my mind to know how many brilliant brains are in that theater at the same time. I’m excited to be attending #BIF2015 in a couple of weeks.
Well, there you have it. My top hashtags! What are yours? Share them below!